- Veterinary Professionals
- Referring a case
- Referred Case Registration Form
- Cat Friendly Clinic – Gold Level
- Pet Blood Donor Sessions
CPD at Willows
- External CPD by Willows Clinicians
Willows Scientific Publications
- Internships at Willows
- Nursing at Willows
- Veterinary Professionals Newsletters
- Veterinary Professionals
This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms
Clinical Extra Mural Studies (CEMS) at Willows
- Willows provides an exciting Clinical EMS opportunity for final year students attending UK and Ireland veterinary schools
- Two week placements with our referral veterinary surgeons
- An opportunity to experience the caseload typical of a large, multi-disciplinary small animal Specialist referral hospital
- We expect you to be a self-motivated individual who is keen to look for learning opportunities from our extensive and varied daily caseload
- Follow a new case each and every day
- Experience Cardiology, Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Oncology, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Soft Tissue Surgery, Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Diagnostic Imaging practised to the highest standards in one of the UK's top Specialist referral centres
- See the benefits of a multi-team approach to case investigation, treatment and management
- We encourage your contributions to case discussion
- Introductory meeting on day one to develop an action plan for the placement
- Formal mid-placement and end-placement reviews
MA VetMB CertSAS DipECVS MRCVS
RCVS Specialist in Small Animal Surgery
European Specialist in Small Animal Surgery
BVetMed(Hons) MANZCVSc DipECVIM-CA MRCVS
RCVS Specialist in Feline Medicine
European Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine
Read what a recent veterinary student visitor thought of Willows Clinical Extra Mural Studies - A vet student’s perspective
Willows offers Clinical Extra Mural Studies (CEMS) placements to final year veterinary students, that allows you to gain a fantastic insight into referral-level veterinary practice and to work alongside specialist veterinary surgeons.
Vet students study at university for 5 years and throughout this time have to complete a set amount of placements, both clinical and non-clinical, often during university holidays. The majority of these placements are based in first-opinion practices, equivalent to GP practices in human medicine.
At referral hospitals such as Willows the vets undergo a further 3 to 4 years of training to gain specialist knowledge in certain disciplines. I am currently a final year student at the University of Nottingham and would like to specialise in the future, so I was incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to visit Willows for two weeks this summer.
At Willows the placement works by following individual patients, rather than an individual vet which allows the student to see one case passing through all the different specialist areas from start to finish. For example by starting the day in consultations with a neurology clinician, you may then follow the patient through the imaging department, before going on to anaesthesia and surgery. This is great, as it allows a much deeper level of understanding and learning about the case. However, the placement is still organised to make sure you have the opportunity to gain experience within all the specialties.
From a vet student's point of view, the cases seen at a referral hospital are often very exciting, mainly due to their complexity and uniqueness, so this means there is lots of extra reading to do – Willows provide vet students with a desk and computer in order to study if needed.
From the outset of the placement I was amazed at how friendly and willing every single staff member was to involve me in what was going on both practically, and also academically by engaging me in case discussions – the practice is constantly busy, so for everyone to spare the time to do this was incredible. It was also great to work alongside vets undertaking internships and residencies in order to specialise, and to get a real-life perspective on what these extra studies are like, especially if you are thinking of specialising in the future yourself. Despite being busy they were again very happy to teach and answer my multitude of questions.
Overall the CEMS opportunity for veterinary students at Willows is second-to-none, and I would thoroughly recommend it to any student wanting an intense yet highly rewarding experience at a referral hospital. The level of patient care is the highest I have ever seen, and any animal that comes through Willows is incredibly lucky to be in the hands of such a caring, dedicated, and skilled team.
Final year vet student
University of Nottingham
Making a booking
Making a booking
- Contact our EMS Supervising Team at [email protected] in the first instance
- Indicate your preferred dates for the placement
- Confirm that you will be a final year student
- Provide a CV and recent passport-style photograph
- Outline the reasons why you would like to spend time with us
- Include your relevant clinical experiences so far (e.g. which clinical rotations so far completed, how many weeks of EMS completed and in which species)
- Please use your university email account for all correspondence