willows

Your login session has timed out.
Please login below.

Willows website uses cookies - by continuing to browse the website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Further information

close willows alert cookies

Submit Case Report

Do you wish to submit this report?

Submit Case Report

Prior to submitting please preview the report using the Save and Preview button.

Use the browser back button to return.

Cancel Case Report Assignment

Are you sure you wish to cancel your assignment to report on this case – all inputted data will be lost!

Delete Case

Do you want to delete this case?

This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms

Giant hogweed warning...

9 October 2015

The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) have advised people to be on the lookout for hogweed, also known as giant hogweed, giant cow parsley, giant cow parsnip, hogsbane and keck.

There have been reports of some severe skin reactions in humans, dogs and horses after coming into contact with this plant, which contains toxic sap.

 

Hogweed, also known as giant hogweed, cow parsnip, hogweed and keck.

 

The plant likes to live around water, grassy areas and open woodland. It is thought to be spreading in the UK and Ireland.

The plant contains chemicals that make the skin extremely sensitive to sunlight. Brushing against it can lead to significant skin damage. Common symptoms include mouth and skin ulcers or blisters, also skin inflammation, swelling and vomiting. Symptoms can develop within a few hours.

Treatment involves washing the area with soap and water and limiting sunlight exposure as well as other supportive care which may be given by your vet. If your pet comes into contact with this plant wash the area immediately and contact your vet for advice.