willows

Your login session has timed out.
Please login below.

Willows website uses cookies - by continuing to browse the website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Further information

close willows alert cookies

Submit Case Report

Do you wish to submit this report?

Submit Case Report

Prior to submitting please preview the report using the Save and Preview button.

Use the browser back button to return.

Cancel Case Report Assignment

Are you sure you wish to cancel your assignment to report on this case – all inputted data will be lost!

Delete Case

Do you want to delete this case?

This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms

Toxic Ponds – the dangers of Blue-Green Algae

2 September 2015

Dangers of Blue-Green Algae

 

Blue-green algae is most commonly seen during the summer months. It grows in stagnant water or ponds where it forms ‘blooms’ that give the water a blue-green or ‘pea soup’ like colour. It can also look like blue-green paint on the surface of the water.

The algae produces toxins (poisons) that can affect people, livestock and pets. Not all blue-green blooms produce toxins, but it is impossible to tell which are dangerous without testing, and therefore all blooms should be considered potentially toxic.

Dogs drinking or swimming in contaminated water are at risk, as even a few mouthfuls can be fatal. Symptoms include severe vomiting and/or diarrhoea, as well as liver failure or neurological symptoms such as convulsions (seizures or fits). Death can occur within 30 minutes of exposure. There is no antidote to the poisons in blue-green algae, but intensive supportive treatment may be helpful in some cases, depending on the amount of toxin ingested.

 

Dangers of Blue-Green Algae

 

So be cautious and watchful around any ‘suspicious-looking’ water – and if you suspect that your pet has ingested blue-green algae, it is vital that you contact your vet as a matter of urgency.