This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms
29 July 2015
Earlier this year Polly, a lively young Labrador, got herself in a spot of bother when a game of fetch went a little wrong!
While enjoying her usual exercise regime in the park, Polly was so keen to retrieve her squeaky ball that she accidently swallowed it! Understandably Polly’s owners were very concerned and took her straight to their usual vets.
Radiographs were taken of Polly’s abdomen and it was clear to see the toy ball was in her stomach.
An x-ray (radiograph) of Polly’s abdomen showing the toy ball in her stomach (Radiograph courtesy of Bicester Vets)
In the hope of avoiding surgery to remove the ball, Polly was referred to Willows’ internal medicine team. Fergus Allerton, Internal Medicine Clinician, examined Polly and, as expected, she was feeling uncomfortable in her tummy area.
Polly was admitted to the hospital and given a general anaesthetic in order to perform an endoscopy. During this procedure a flexible camera was passed through Polly’s mouth, down her oesophagus and into her stomach. The yellow squeaky ball could clearly be seen with the camera and a special instrument was passed down the endoscope to retrieve the ball. With the expertise and patience of Fergus, happily the ball came out whole with no remnants left behind.
Polly’s squeaky toy ball intact after being removed from her stomach
Polly’s owners were thrilled to hear that the ball had been removed via the specialised endoscopic equipment, without Polly requiring major surgery. This meant she was able to recover extremely quickly and go home soon after.
Now hopefully Polly will be a little less enthusiastic about playing ball!
A relieved Polly with her owners