This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms
Beware NERF gun darts!
18 September 2015
Many people remember having great fun with NERF guns at some point in their childhood. Invented in the 1970s by Parker Brothers, NERF products were the world’s first official outdoor toys for indoor use, and their marketing slogans promised that one can ‘throw it or fire it indoors; you can’t damage lamps or break windows and you can’t hurt babies or old people’.
Some pets like to chew and eat things they shouldn't - stones, shoes, children's toys to name but a few. Here at Willows, we have treated pets who have ingested all kinds of things which are not designed to be eaten, and whilst we have not (yet) come across a patient who has eaten one of these, the Veterinary Poisons Information Service has reported that sadly a cat died after ingesting a NERF dart earlier in the year. Whilst the foam (made from NERF Foam - Non-Expanding Recreational Foam) is not thought to be toxic, it is understood that the foam caused a blockage in the cat's gut, which proved fatal.
NERF gun dart
NERF guns are fun to play with but please remember to pick all the darts up afterwards to avoid curious cats and dogs ending up with potentially fatal problems.