willows

Your login session has timed out.
Please login below.

Willows website uses cookies - by continuing to browse the website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Further information

close willows alert cookies

Submit Case Report

Do you wish to submit this report?

Submit Case Report

Prior to submitting please preview the report using the Save and Preview button.

Use the browser back button to return.

Cancel Case Report Assignment

Are you sure you wish to cancel your assignment to report on this case – all inputted data will be lost!

Delete Case

Do you want to delete this case?

This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms

Warnings after Bullet swallows a rabbit!

9 December 2015

At Willows we have recently seen two poor dogs that have unfortunately ingested small soft rubber ball toys when they have been playing. You may remember seeing the story of Polly 'Tum-thing’s squeaking!' earlier this year. Polly had swallowed her soft toy ball whilst enjoying a game of fetch in the park. Due to the size and soft nature of these balls they can be swallowed very easily.

Left the soft toy ball which Polly had swallowed and right the rabbit shaped ball which bullet swallowed.

Left the soft toy ball which Polly had swallowed and right the rabbit shaped ball which bullet swallowed

 

Unfortunately for Bullet the Bull Terrier, he also suffered the same fate, when playing with a very similar looking rabbit shaped ball!

Bullet had been seen to swallow the toy rabbit whilst playing at home! After visiting their usual vets and having x-rays taken, the rabbit was revealed in Bullet’s stomach. Bullet was then referred to Willows to see the Specialist team for retrieval of the toy, in the hope that surgery could be avoided.

He was admitted to the hospital and given a general anaesthetic to perform an endoscopy procedure. During this procedure a flexible camera is passed through Bullet’s mouth, down the oesophagus and into the stomach. The toy rabbit could then be easily been seen by the camera.

 

The endoscopic image from within Bullet's stomach showing the toy rabbit

The endoscopic image from within Bullet's stomach showing the toy rabbit

 

A special instrument was passed down the camera to remove the toy. With the specialist equipment used and the skill of the specialist team the toy was removed in its entirety. This was great news for everyone and Bullet was able to avoid surgery.

All too commonly we see these types of balls and toys that can be easily swallowed by dogs due to their very soft and slippery nature! With this in mind, please be careful when selecting toys for your dogs to play with.

 

Here is the lovely Bullet after he had recovered from his procedure.

Here is the lovely Bullet after he had recovered from his procedure

 

 

Don’t forget the Petplan Veterinary Awards 2016 - The awards provide an opportunity for pet owners to recognise the hard work and dedication of veterinary staff – why not nominate today:

 

Petplan Veterinary Awards 2016

Click here to nominate today!