willows

Your login session has timed out.
Please login below.

Willows website uses cookies - by continuing to browse the website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Further information

close willows alert cookies

Submit Case Report

Do you wish to submit this report?

Submit Case Report

Prior to submitting please preview the report using the Save and Preview button.

Use the browser back button to return.

Cancel Case Report Assignment

Are you sure you wish to cancel your assignment to report on this case – all inputted data will be lost!

Delete Case

Do you want to delete this case?

This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms

Sago Palm Toxicity

20 November 2015

Sago Palm

 

The Sago Palm is an ornamental plant that can be toxic to pets, one dog recently died from ingestion as a result of liver failure.

All parts of the plant are toxic but the seed kernels are particularly toxic. Sago palm contains cycasin, which is the primary active toxic agent, resulting in severe liver failure in dogs. Ingestion causes in acute gastrointestinal signs (e.g., drooling, inappetance, vomiting, diarrhoea). Central nervous system signs (e.g., weakness, ataxia, seizures, tremors, etc.) and severe liver failure can be seen within 2-3 days post-ingestion. Damage can occur to the gut, liver and nervous system.

If your pet ingests this plant contact your vet immediately. Prognosis in dogs treated soon after ingestion is good but by the time clinical symptoms are seen the prognosis is guarded.

 

Sago Palm