Your login session has timed out.
Please login below.

Willows website uses cookies - by continuing to browse the website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Further information

close willows alert cookies

Submit Case Report

Do you wish to submit this report?

Submit Case Report

Prior to submitting please preview the report using the Save and Preview button.

Use the browser back button to return.

Cancel Case Report Assignment

Are you sure you wish to cancel your assignment to report on this case – all inputted data will be lost!

Delete Case

Do you want to delete this case?

This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms

Conker Crazy, please be aware of the dangers!

4 November 2015


Conkers is a traditional game played by children


Conkers is a traditional game played by children which provides great fun at this time of year! The conkers, or horse chestnut seeds, tend to fall from the trees at this time of year and land on the ground. Please be mindful when playing conkers whilst there are dogs in the area, as they contain aesculin a type of poison that is harmful to dogs.

When dogs ingest conkers, vomiting tends to be the most common symptom, normally developing within 2 days. Stomach pain, diarrhoea, lethargy and tremor may also be seen, however some dogs may ingest a large number of conkers and exhibit no symptoms at all. Conkers can also cause a blockage in the intestine and require surgery to remove them.

So please remember to avoid playing the game with dogs present and pick up all the remnants afterwards.


Avoid walking your dog near horse chestnut trees


Avoid walking your dog near horse chestnut trees at this time of year and if your dog does appear unwell after ingesting a conker, contact your vet for advice.