willows

Your login session has timed out.
Please login below.

Willows website uses cookies - by continuing to browse the website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Further information

close willows alert cookies

Submit Case Report

Do you wish to submit this report?

Submit Case Report

Prior to submitting please preview the report using the Save and Preview button.

Use the browser back button to return.

Cancel Case Report Assignment

Are you sure you wish to cancel your assignment to report on this case – all inputted data will be lost!

Delete Case

Do you want to delete this case?

This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms

A chew too far for Teddy!

26 February 2016

Teddy an adorable young Cockapoo got himself in to a spot of bother recently. His inquisitive nose got the better of him and he was found eating his owner’s medicated cream for psoriasis.

 

The medicated cream Teddy was found chewing

 

Understandably worried about the effects this cream would have on Teddy, his owners took him to his usual vets for examination. Unfortunately for Teddy, the vets needed to induce vomiting (with special medication) to eliminate the cream and to avoid the toxic effects.

Psoriasis cream contains high levels of vitamin D. Vitamin D at the correct level is important for health but the high level contained in this cream is very toxic to dogs. Despite excellent management by Teddy’s vets, Teddy developed a high blood calcium level (detected on blood tests) due to the high levels of vitamin D ingested.

Teddy was referred to Willows to see Medicine Specialist Isuru Gajanayake, for further investigation and treatment. Teddy was admitted for further examination and blood tests. Teddy’s calcium levels had increased further and this was starting to cause kidney damage. Teddy was given an intravenous infusion of a special drug called pamidronate (bisphosphate), to lower his calcium levels and prevent any further kidney damage.

 

Teddy receiving treatment in the hospital.

Teddy receiving treatment in the hospital

 

After this infusion Teddy had further blood tests which indicated that a second infusion treatment was required to lower the calcium levels further. Teddy was hospitalised for a few days to receive the treatment and was monitored very closely by the medicine team and the nursing staff.

Teddy responded very well to the treatment and we are pleased to say he has no lasting effects. Teddy’s owners were very quick to respond when they saw him eating the medicated cream, and did the right thing by taking him to the vets straight away. They were delighted to be reunited with Teddy following his treatment.

Here are some photos of Teddy recovering at home;

 

Teddy recovering at home

 

Teddy recovering at home

 

Teddy recovering at home

 

If you see your pet eating anything they shouldn’t, you should seek veterinary advice immediately. For further information please see our Poisons and Household Dangers Information Sheet.