This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms
This will make your skin crawl!
3 August 2016
Fox mange is caused by the burrowing 8 legged parasite Sarcoptes scabiei. This mite infects dogs who come into contact with foxes or the areas where they’ve been and causes intense itching and discomfort and a marked crusty rash. This dramatic reaction is largely because the mites make tunnels within the skin triggering an allergic reaction.
The parasite is very infectious, and is not too fussy about which species it infects – it can infect cats, other wild animals and humans too! Accurate diagnosis and effective treatment are therefore very important.
Sarcoptes scabiei – the fox mange parasite
If foxes, and other wild animals, are frequent visitors to your garden, make sure your dog is covered against this parasite and contact your vet for advice.