This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your browser version, we suggest the use of one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, some sections of the website may not work correctly such as web forms
Keeping Your Pets Safe Over Easter
14 April 2017
The Easter break can be a great time for family fun and of course a traditional Easter Egg hunt. Whilst this is a great time to have some fun, we must take care of our pets and avoid any hazards to your pet this Easter.
Chocolate is not only toxic to dogs but also cats, rodents and rabbits. The toxic component in chocolate is a substance called theobromine. The severity of the poisoning depends on the amount and the type of chocolate consumed. Dark chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate and white chocolate is relatively non-toxic. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, dehydration, hyperactivity and a rapid heart rate. In extreme cases convulsions (seizures) can occur, and liver damage may develop in the longer term. If you are organising an Easter egg hunt be sure to keep your pets away from the hidden chocolate to ensure that is not ingested.
Plastic Eggs and Easter Toys
Easter toys and plastic fillable eggs that can be used for Easter egg hunts can look very appealing to dogs and can be mistaken for dog toys. These items can become a hazard if chewed, potentially becoming stuck in the oesophagus or the intestine, which may result in emergency surgery. Keep track of all the items you hide during your hunt and make sure they are all accounted for at the end.
Daffodils and other spring Bulbs are also toxic, they contain alkaloids and calcium oxalate, both of which can be an irritant when ingested, and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and very rarely more serious symptoms like collapse. Take care to make sure when planting bulbs that your pet does not ingest them and avoid ingestion of plants when they are flowering in the spring.
Lilies although beautiful can be deadly for cats. Most species of lily are toxic as they cause the kidneys to fail. All parts of the plant are toxic. Cats do not commonly eat poisonous things but will occasionally chew on plants, including lilies, in the home and garden (just as they eat grass in the garden). The cat will usually be sick and then become depressed and extremely ill rather quickly. If you are given lilies as a gift, make sure you put them where your cat can’t get at them and won’t be dusted by the pollen.
For further information see our Poisons and Household Dangers Information Sheet
On behalf of all the team at Willows, we would like to wish you a very happy Easter.